Thursday, March 20, 2014

Christian Worldview Film Festival 2014

Last week, I had the pleasure of attending the very first Christian Worldview Film Festival (CWVFF) in San Antonio, Texas.  This festival was created to fill the gap when the San Antonio Independent Film Festival (SAICFF) dissolved.  I had attended the SAICFF for the past three years, and the CWVFF did a great job of picking up the mantel and carrying on.

I flew to San Antonio on Monday and my "Wednesday Morning Breakfast Club" friends (Justin, Amanda, Seth, Harmony, and Mr. Cade) picked me up.  We walked along the Riverwalk in the sprinkling rain, had a grand time, and eventually ended up at the Guadalajara Grill for dinner.  Nathan Jacobson (writer/director of "Wanted") had ridden down to Texas with Jonathan Potter and Johnathan Schutz, and they joined us at the restaurant for a great time of fellowship.


There was a Guild on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning, with workshops led by talented artists in a wide variety of occupations - actors, composers, editors, writers, producers, etc.  I really enjoyed attending workshops on acting taught by my friends Rebekah Cook, Mimi Sagadin, and Rich Swingle, as well as keynote addresses by Phillip Telfer and George Escobar.  In addition, I bought the tapes to hear the writing workshops by John Fornof, and can't wait to listen to them!

Rebekah, Mimi, and Mr. Escobar

I actually missed half a day during the Guild because I was feeling sick, and then I missed the next two days of the festival because we were working hard to raise the rest of our budget for "Wanted" before the Kickstarter campaign ended on Sunday.  It wasn't ideal to be spending so much time on the campaign while we were down there for the festival, but God worked it out for the best because several of our friends there came to our aid, and without the time and skills they contributed, we wouldn't have been able to do everything that we did to bring in the rest of the money.  But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Wednesday evening was our Meet-and-Greet for "Wanted."  There were some conflicting events going on, and I really wasn't sure how many people would show up.  We wanted to host it in the outside courtyard at our hotel, but it was too cold so we moved it inside to the lobby.  To my surprise, we had over 40 people come!!!  It was like a big party!  Some people even stayed two hours.  I am so grateful for everyone's support!

Nate, Rusty, and me with writer John Fornof.

Signing posters!

Thursday and Friday, a few of us stayed at the hotel most of the day working on our fundraising campaign.  We are so thankful for Paul Hastings (producer of "Roses," and very knowledgeable about crowd funding - in fact he taught a workshop on that subject at the Guild!), who came alongside us during this time and gave us a strategy to implement during our final days of the campaign.  It made all the difference!

Friday night, I was rescued from the hotel and taken to dinner by Garry Nation (Polycarp himself!), and his wife, along with Nate and Rusty.  It was a very refreshing outing, and such a joy to spend time with them!


 Next, we actually got to go to the Festival for the evening!!!  Just in time for the first screening of "The Wednesday Morning Breakfast Club"!  Amanda and I dressed up in our waitress costumes and handed out surveys that Justin had cleverly printed to look like they were on guest checks from a restaurant.  It was amazing to watch the film with an audience for the first time, and to hear their reactions and feedback!  They laughed and laughed...and cried...  There was a screening the next afternoon as well, and both rooms were packed out with standing room only.  Everyone loved the film, and was very touched by the message!  Praise God!


We got back to the hotel around 11:30 that night.  We were getting ready to go into our respective rooms, when my friend and fellow actor Josh Murray messages me on FB and says, "Looks like you guys made it, congrats."  When that popped up on my phone, I instantly dropped my stuff and swiped over to the Kickstarter app.  When I saw that we had indeed passed our goal of $10,000, I started screaming!  In the hotel hallway.  At 11:30 p.m.  No, I wasn't thinking clearly.  But I was deliriously happy!!!  (After loosing major amounts of sleep and working so hard for weeks, I think I was slightly justified.)  :-)

Nate wasn't actually with us at the time, so we went in search of him and found him soaking wet in the hotel lobby.  He had been with Paul Hastings, Jason Vaughn, Nathan Webster, and Dustin Ledden when they found out the news, and had promptly gotten thrown in the pool by way of celebration!

Well...let's just say there was much rejoicing.  And very little sleeping that night.  I was much too excited to fall asleep until after 2am.  In fact, Rusty and I went downstairs and did some swing dancing and line dancing with Caleb and Courtney Vetter, Arielle, and my roommate Rachel.  But one of the highlights was when we all circled around in the hotel room and lifted up our thanks to God, because He is the one who made it all possible.  There was nothing we could do in our own strength to bring in that money.  We trusted God to provide, and He did.  It's nothing short of a miracle.  Over 50% of our goal was raised in two days.  When everyone thought it was impossible, our goal was met and passed with more than 30 hours remaining!  That was only God.  :-)

Celebrating Friday night with our hero, Paul!

Saturday, with the huge load of meeting our fundraising goal off our shoulders, we were finally free to enjoy the Festival!  For the most part.  There was still work to be done, but we brought our computers to the event location and I was able to talk to a lot of people when I wasn't drafting follow-up emails for our technical wiz, Jonathan Potter, to send out.

I was also trying to get lots of pictures with my friends on Saturday since I hadn't done it sooner...

With my friend and fellow actor, Torry Martin! This guy is amazing!

With my new friend and talented actress, Mimi Sagadin!

Love these guys.  Can't wait to be on set with them soon. :-)

Reunion photo for "In His Steps," which was also screening at the festival!

Saturday night was the Awards Ceremony!!!  We went back to the hotel, frantically changed clothes and tried to freshen up a bit, and rushed back just in time for the ceremony.  Which means we didn't get any nice pictures beforehand.  Oh well.

"The Wednesday Morning Breakfast Club" was a selected as a finalist for best feature!  Very exciting!

After the ceremony, a huge group of us met in front of the Alamo and visited for a while.  Here's a picture of our LITTLE group - my roommates and the boys next door (plus Zack on the far left, who became part of our little family).  Most of us rode together every day.

Photo courtesy of Hannah Kenney.

Later we walked down to a Mexican restaurant on the Riverwalk and had a huge long room to ourselves.  I have no idea how many people were there...  We had a great time!

Photo courtesy of Gabriel Hudelson.

By the time we left (well after midnight), I had reached the state of sleep deprivation where I was starting to slur my words and could hardly walk in a straight line.  It was pretty bad.  But with help, I made it back to the car and was very happy to fall into bed that night.

Sunday morning, I finished packing, had lunch with the guys next door (plus Jason Vaughn and Nathan Webster) before they all headed out, and then my friend Anna Becker picked me up at the hotel and took me to her house for a few very fun and relaxing days.  (It ended up being an extended stay because ice in Virginia canceled my flight on Monday.)  I finally made it back to Virginia on Tuesday, but my luggage didn't.  Thankfully it arrived the next morning and my brother picked it up from the airport, then picked me up from a friend's house, and I finally made it all the way home.  Home sweet home.  It's always good to come back.

Final reflections...

The film festival is an event that I look forward to every year.  In fact, it's one of the major highlights of my year.  A big family reunion.  A time to meet new friends and network within the Christian filmmaking community.  A time to learn from godly leaders who graciously share their wisdom and knowledge with us and offer to meet us on a personal level.  A time to see new films and support our fellow filmmakers and actors.

My heartfelt thanks go out to Phillip Telfer (of Media Talk 101) and his amazing crew for putting together such a great festival, and to all the speakers who came and shared of themselves with us.

To all my friends -- I can't wait to see you next year, Lord willing!  (Or better yet, on a film set before then!)

To everyone who met me for the first time -- I'm sorry you only saw me in such a sleep-deprived state.  Haha!  I promise I can put together coherent sentences a little easier than it may have appeared.  ;-)

To everyone else -- if you're looking for a good Christian film festival to attend, I highly recommend this one.  Mark your calendars for March 10-14, 2015!  www.christianworldviewfilmfestival.com

10 comments:

  1. Loved reading your recap Stacey! I knew about some of the behind-the-scenes happenings because of Paul (who's also my hero too! ;-) ), but I didn't realize quite how extensive it was for you! So glad I was able to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Christina! I was so glad to meet you as well! I wish we had had more time to talk. Hopefully next year. :-) God bless!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like soooo much fun!!! I'm going with you next year, Stacey! Seriously, I'm GOING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey...this is so beautifully written!! I am so blessed to have met you. What an encouraging week it was to meet so many young filmmakers that want to change the culture for the glory of God! Quoting C. S. Lewis, "Aslan is on the move!" Praise Jesus!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, what a blessing it was to meet you as well! And I can't tell you how much I appreciated your kind and encouraging words after the screening of "The Wednesday Morning Breakfast Club." I can't wait to see the rest of Princess Cut once it's finished, as well as "Return to the Hiding Place"! You are a great inspiration, and I really enjoyed learning from your acting workshop at the Guild. I hope we will be able to work together on a film sometime! God bless! :-)

      Delete
  4. Good times and great memories. Super glad I got to be a part and I can't wait for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT article Stacey. Reading it I felt like I had been to the festival.

    I'd like to send you a press release about our new film ABDUCTED TO KILL for your consideration.

    How can I contact you via e-mail?

    - Porter Versfelt III (raised in Texas.)
    www.AbductedToKillMovie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Porter, thank you so much for your comment! And thank you for sharing my post on the SVFPP facebook page! I will contacting you via a message on the SVFPP page to give you my email address. :-)

      Delete
  6. I have re-posted this blog on the Southern Video & Film Production Professionals Facebook page ... https://www.facebook.com/SVFPP

    ReplyDelete