Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"Polycarp: Destroyer of Gods"

Are you ready for something SUPER EXCITING?!?  Then check out the new teaser trailer for "Polycarp: Destroyer of Gods"!





It was such a privilege to be a part of this film.  I was cast in the small role of Sabina, a bread seller in the market.  I was only in Ohio one day to film all of my scenes because I was currently in the middle of filming "Uncommon" for the whole month of July in Virginia.  Thankfully, I was able to take three days off from that so I could hop out to Ohio.

I was EXHAUSTED from three weeks of filming "Uncommon," so my saintly mother came to my rescue and drove me the 9 hours to Cincinnati.  My youngest brother and his best friend came along, so while I was filming on Monday, they all went and visited the Creation Museum.

We arrived at our hotel near Cincinnati early Sunday evening, then freshened up and drove over to the Henline's house, where Jerica proceeded to dye my hair darker (after she extracted me from all the hugging and chatting with dear friends I hadn't seen in a long time).  I had never dyed my hair before, and I loved the darker look!  It was a one day rinse, though, so it washed out the next night.

Monday morning, I was up really early and headed to set.  I ate breakfast with my friends, then went through wardrobe.  I learned a few new lessons about women's fashion of the day (particularly the undergarments *cough*), then it was time for hair and makeup.  My hair was curled and pinned back a little, and for makeup, I was coated with a darker foundation to make me look more tan, as befit someone who spent many hours in an outdoor market place.  :-)


Next?  The green room!  (a.k.a. the holding room for actors when they're not needed on set.)  All of the scenes for that day were supposed to be outdoors, but it started to rain, which was causing problems and delays.  They ended up shifting some scenes around, and I didn't get on set until about the middle of the afternoon.  But for most of the time while I was waiting, I had good company in the green room to keep me entertained!

Garry Nation, who played the title role of Polycarp

When I did finally walk on set, it was like I had stepped out of the 21st Century and into the 2nd!  The market place was bustling with activity, and I was amazed by the detailed sets they had constructed and decorated!  We were under a tight time crunch not only because of the rain, but also because I HAD to leave early the next morning and head back to Virginia.  All of my scenes had to get done before the light faded.  There were no options.  Rain kept coming in spurts and we'd rush back inside and pray for it to stop.  The crew worked hard, kept things tight, and by God's grace we got it all done!

Screen grabs from the film. Rusty Martin (Germanicus) and Garry Nation (Polycarp).


We all drew a deep breath of relief and enjoyed our dinner that night.  I relished every moment surrounded by so many dear friends.  I had worked with most of the crew members on previous films, and I enjoyed making new friends among the rest that I had not met before - including actors Rusty Martin and Garry Nation, as seen above.  We didn't have any scenes together, but I'm so glad they came to set the day I was there!

Other new friends included Eliya Hurt (who recently played my daughter in "Wanted"), and Nathan Jacobson (who wrote and directed "Wanted").  Just think...if I hadn't met Nate on the set of "Polycarp," I probably wouldn't have had any part in helping to make "Wanted," much less an acting role in it.  When you meet people on a film set, you never know where those friendships might take you down the road!  Networking can take you so many places!

Eliya Hurt in the leading role of Anna. This girl is so sweet and so crazy talented!

With the writer and director, Jerica and Joe Henline

I was sorry to say goodbye that evening.  The next morning, we headed back to Virginia (and after 9+ hours on the road, I went to a 3-4 hour dance rehearsal for "Uncommon" that night!  Talk about exhausted!).

If you haven't seen it yet, here's a featurette about the making of Polycarp!  You'll get to see lots of fun behind-the-scenes action and get a taste for what it was like on set!

No comments:

Post a Comment