Tuesday, April 8, 2014

"Wanted"

I traveled to Ohio from April 1-4 for the filming of "Wanted".  What a crazy and wonderful time we had!  After all the months we put into pre-production, it was surreal to actually and finally be out there filming it, and even more strange for it to fly by so quickly.  Here are some thoughts and memories as I try to untangle the blur of activity in my mind...


First of all, I had quite a time trying to get out there!  I don't recommend flying with United.  Unfortunately, they usually seem to have the cheapest rates (Southwest isn't an option where I live).  I was supposed to fly out of VA at 1:43pm and arrive at the Dayton airport by 7pm.  However, my layover in Cleveland kept growing longer and longer (stretching past four hours) as we waited for the first officer to arrive.  I didn't arrive in Dayton until around 11pm, so I was taken straight to my host home (arriving around midnight).  So much for a fun evening with the cast and crew before production started.

Completely exhausted after my long trip, I fell into bed...and didn't sleep all night.  No idea why.  

Script supervisor (and dear friend), Rebekah Cook

Monday, I was thankful for a late morning call time, so I could rest for a while and enjoy a long chat with Rebekah Cook - my roommate, fellow actress and filmmaker, and friend of four years.  We were picked up at 11am and taken to Nathan Jacobson's house (where we filmed most of the movie).  All of the crew was there, and it was wonderful to be reunited with so many dear friends!

We shot one of my scenes with Rusty Martin that afternoon.  Rusty is so much fun to work with!  In between takes, we were speculating if I could fit inside the heavy bag he was punching in the scene.  We purposed to try, but it turned out to be filled with foam that we didn't dare remove (you're welcome, Nate).  ;-)


Tuesday, I had the day off, which was good because I ended up feeling very sick most of the day, thanks to my usual exhaustion sickness (nausea, etc.).  It doesn't normally hit that soon, but I had come into the production completely wiped out from several intense weeks filled with lots of hard work and heavy responsibility leading up to that point, and hadn't slept two out of the previous three nights.

I had come to the Jacobsons' home Tuesday morning, and then found a bed to crawl into while everybody left to film at the bus stop.  Later, they came back and started setting up in the room where I was resting, so I relocated to another bed in a different room.  I felt like Goldilocks.  I had no idea whose bed I was using, but they all seemed to be fair game, so I made myself at home.  :-)

By the middle of the afternoon, I was finally feeling better and joined the crew outside for lunch.  The weather was so beautiful!  Later, I spent time just walking around barefoot in the grass (I've been waiting to do that for so many months!), and even laid down in the yard for a while and soaked up the sunshine (careful not to stay out long enough to get sunburned).  The rest of the day, I enjoyed  taking pictures and chatting with people when they weren't busy.  We also filmed my behind-the-scenes interview.  Thankfully, the questions weren't too hard.  I really hate doing interviews.  I'm not very good at thinking and talking on my feet.  This is why I'm an actress and not a public speaker.  Haha, just give me lines to memorize and I'm happy!


That evening, I enjoyed some wonderful bonding time with this cute little guy when Joshua Jacobson, his wife Sarah, and their two little boys, Joshua and Ethan, came for a visit!  (Josh is Nate's older brother.)  Such a delightful family!  That's 11-month-old Ethan I'm holding in the picture.  We became great friends!

Wednesday was a big day!  The last of our actors, Andrew Cheney, had arrived, so our whole "family" got to act together.  Andrew and I played Peter and Rachel Johnson, Eliya Hurt was our daughter Amy, and Rusty was Luke, the boy we took in through foster care.  Let me tell you, we had so much fun together!  I loved working with each of them!  Such talented actors. 

One of our morning scenes was outside, and I was wearing an open-front sweater over a tank top.  The rest of the day, I was wearing a high-necked t-shirt.  That evening, I had to switch back into my previous outfit, and as I slid into the makeup chair and looked in the mirror, I remarked about how strangely red my chest was.  I didn't even think about it being a sunburn because I didn't think we'd been outside long enough for me to get burned, but Mary (the makeup artist), pointed out that it followed the neckline of my tank top and sweater.  Yikes!  Thankfully, she was able to cover it up with makeup.  

Rusty and Eliya

Thursday morning, I woke up at 6:30am with one of the worst sore throats I can remember.  Both of my roommates woke up with sore throats as well.  I was drinking hot tea, taking vitamin C, chugging water, and sucking on cough drops all day.  But the pain (and exhaustion) just kept wearing me down.  Right before one particular scene, I was having to fight back tears.  Ironically, I had to laugh in the next scene.  Making yourself laugh without a reason is hard enough, but when you're actually wanting to cry, it's a lot harder.  But part of being a professional is pushing through and doing it anyway, so I forced a smile and did the scene...several times.

Everyone was so sweet and kept checking on me and asking what they could do for me all day.  Suffering is a lot easier when you have kind people taking care of you.  :-)

After we wrapped filming on Thursday, we all put on our Wanted t-shirts for a big group picture.  Then we ran around taking pictures with each other.  I didn't manage to get pictures with *everybody*, but here are the rest of the ones I did get...

Production manager Leslie Naugle (one of my roommates)

Jerica Henline, who made my hair look fabulous every day!

My adopted family - Andrew, Abigail, Eliya, Caleb, and Levi Hurt!

The Bolzman Bros! (Andrew, our 1st AD, and Philip, our Gaffer)

Micah and Amelia Austin, part of our awesome camera team!

Mary Smit, our stellar makeup artist who always made me look my best!

Sarah and Dan Stibral, who did a rockin' job as our Art Department!

The lady of the house - Susie Jacobson - who so graciously let us take over her home for the shoot!

And our fearless writer and director, Nathan Jacobson!

Thursday was my last day, which was so sad!  It was hard to believe my time in Ohio had come to an end so quickly.  I hated to leave!  Between wrapping at a late hour, taking pictures with everyone, THEN doing a promo photo shoot with the green screen, and having a hard time tearing myself away after that...it was 4:30am before I finally got in bed.  

Friday morning, after four hours of sleep, I packed my suitcase, headed to the Jacobsons' for lunch and goodbyes, then was taken back to the airport.  Thankfully, my trip home was less eventful and I was home by 10:30pm.  Mom said I looked awful, and that's pretty much how I felt.  I had a full blown cold by that point, and hardly had the strength or energy to walk across the room.  As hard as it was to leave Ohio, it was good to be home where I could rest and recover after a couple of intense months.

If you want to see behind-the-scenes pictures as they are released and hear about post-production news, here are some links where you can follow us:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/thewantedmovie
Twitter: www.twitter.com/thewantedmovie
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/wantedthemovie
Instagram: @roundtableproductions

And of course, our website (which will be set up more like an official website some time in the future): http://wantedthemovie.com


Before I close, I just want to give a shout-out to one of the best, most professional crews I have ever worked with.  I have worked with a lot of film crews (including most of these guys on previous shoots), and let me tell you - this crew was top-notch.  They knew what they were doing and they did it well.  Working with a professional crew makes my job as an actress so much easier and so much more fun!  Seriously, it makes a BIG difference.  And this was a fantastic experience!

"Wanted" is going to be an incredible short film, and it's all due to God's blessing on the project.  His hand has been so evident from the beginning, and He was very gracious in so many ways while we were filming.  From favorable weather, to securing locations, and right down to the fact that I didn't get fully congested until AFTER I was done filming...these are just a few ways that God provided for all of our needs.  I can't wait to share this film with you when it's done!  

No comments:

Post a Comment